Why HEPMP project?
- Serbia —life expectancy (72.3 years) –with high levels of heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
- Cancer is the second most frequent cause of death in Serbia
- low awareness of PM care amongst the lay public and health care professionals
- The TEMPUS Palliative and Pain Medicine project 2007- 2009 as part of an initiative of the Universities of Florence and Lyon in cooperation with the School of Medicine at the UB -postgraduate education of palliative medicine.
- Recognized through a National Palliative Care Strategy (2008) and National Programme Serbia Against Cancer
- The program of postgraduate subspecialty of PM was accredited in 2013 at UB. So far, 60 postgraduate students were enrolled in it.
- Number of doctors trained for PM is unnsufficient.
- Strengthening Capacities for Higher Education of Pain Medicine in Western Balkan Countries
- This project aims are supporting the development of Pain medicine service provision in the country by providing qualified trained staff.
- Support will be granted to operationalise the recently established an educational program in the form of pain medicine specialization and the possibility of the development of undergraduate education programs.
- Establish an academic network and improve professional cooperation through opportunities provided by new technologies (Internet, telemedicine, etc.)
Tasks of the project
Tasks of the Universities of Program countries
- assist in the analysis of the current situation in this area in PCs
- defining the possible changes that would improve or introducing curriculum of PM
- training of trainers from PCs
- organizations of internship of students from Universisties from PCs in the centers for pain in PgCs.
Tasks of Universities of Partner countries
- to modernize the existing curriculum PM specialty
- to develop a module lectures for undergraduate studies of PM
- to develop a web platform for mutual learning and communication professionals who deal with PM
- to organize courses of PM for doctors in primary health care
- develop written material for LLL (books, brochures, scripts, leaflets, digital material)
- establish an academic network